While the #MeToo movement has sparked the takedowns of many powerful predators in Hollywood, one accuser has still not seen the justice she has so long deserved.
That accuser is Woody Allen‘s daughter Dylan Farrow, who called out Hollywood stars for continuing to work with the iconic filmmaker despite her longstanding allegation that he molested her as a child in 1992.
In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, Dylan blasted stars like Kate Winslet, Blake Lively, and Greta Gerwig for condemning the actions of Harvey Weinstein while keeping silent about the claims surrounding the Annie Hall director, whom they have all worked with over the past few years.
“We are in the midst of a revolution. From allegations against studio heads and journalists, to hotel maids recounting abuses on the job, women are exposing the truth and men are losing their jobs. But the revolution has been selective.”
Allen has repeatedly denied Dylan’s allegations, suggesting that her mother Mia Farrow planted false memories in her brain out of bitterness (claims that Dylan denies). The allegations were investigated by sex-abuse experts at Yale-New Haven Hospital and no charges were ever filed.
Despite all that, Dylan maintains the filmmaker’s “pattern of inappropriate behavior” with her says it all, continuing:
“Allen denies my allegations. But this is not a “he said, child said” situation. Allen’s pattern of inappropriate behavior — putting his thumb in my mouth, climbing into bed with me in his underwear, constant grooming and touching — was witnessed by friends and family members. At the time of the alleged assault, he was in therapy for his conduct towards me. Three eyewitnesses substantiated my account, including a babysitter who saw Allen with his head buried in my lap after he had taken off my underwear. Allen refused to take a polygraph administered by the Connecticut state police.”
No other allegations of sexual misconduct have come out against Allen, but Dylan says her accusation shouldn’t be invalidated or ignored just because it is “still just too complicated, too difficult, too ‘dangerous,’ to use [Blake] Lively’s term, to confront.”
Reiterating her claims — not a word of which have changed over the years — to an audience that now believes victims, she added:
“I have long maintained that when I was 7 years old, Woody Allen led me into an attic, away from the babysitters who had been instructed never to leave me alone with him. He then sexually assaulted me. I told the truth to the authorities then, and I have been telling it, unaltered, for more than 20 years. Why is it that Harvey Weinstein and other accused celebrities have been cast out by Hollywood, while Allen recently secured a multimillion-dollar distribution deal with Amazon, greenlit by former Amazon Studios executive Roy Price before he was suspended over sexual misconduct allegations? Allen’s latest feature, Wonder Wheel, was released theatrically on Dec. 1.”
Wow. Time to cough up an actual response, Kate…
Allen had no comment on Dylan’s LA Times piece, but his rep released the following statement to EW:
“Dylan Farrow’s allegations against Woody Allen, which she first made 25 years ago, have been thoroughly examined by law enforcement officials and child welfare investigators. The investigators concluded unambiguously that Dylan Farrow was not sexually abused. No charges were ever filed, and the reason is simple: because Woody Allen is innocent.”
We’ll see if that holds up. Read Dylan’s full op-ed HERE.
[Image via Dennis Van Tine/Future Image/WENN.]